IngredientsTriple Chocolate Cake
- 1 +1/2 cups flour (180g)
- 1 + 1/2 cups granulated white sugar (300g)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (65g)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil (240ml)
- 1 cup buttermilk (240ml)
- 1 vanilla bean* (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting + Chocolate Sprinkles
- 1 + 1/4 cups butter (282g)
- 2 + 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (300g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (42g)
- 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chocolate sprinkles (95g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two 9″ round baking or springform pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the Triple Chocolate Cake: In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla* just until combined. Add dry ingredients and stir to combine. Separate batter into the two prepared baking pans equally. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Don’t overbake or the cake will be dry. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting: Mix butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar and cocoa and mix until combined. Stir in heavy whipping cream until creamy.
- Spread the half of the frosting on top of the bottom cake layer. Place top layer on top and spread or pipe the remaining frosting on top and the sides. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles. Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days. Let cake come to room temperature before eating.
*First, cut off the straight end of the vanilla bean. Then place the tip of your knife below the curled end and cut the vanilla bean through the middle of the bean lengthwise with a sharp knife. Although you don’t need to cut it all the way through, it’s ok when you do so. Then open the vanilla bean and scrape out the flavorful seeds with the back of your knife. Just use the seeds.