- 3/4 cup / 65g rolled oats / oatmeal (quick cooking is ok)
- 3/4 cup / 115g white flour , plain/all purpose
- 3/4 cup / 130 g brown sugar (loosely packed)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp / 90g unsalted butter , melted
- 1 kg / 2 lb strawberries , ripe
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup / 70 – 110g white sugar (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream , dollop cream or custard
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Place all ingredients except butter in a bowl. Mix to combine. Add butter and mix to incorporate.
- Hull / cut top off strawberries. Cut larger ones in half, leave small ones whole (2cm / 4/5″ height).
- Place strawberries in bowl. Scatter over cornflour, toss well to coat evenly.
- Add sugar, water and vanilla. Mix well.
ASSEMBLE AND BAKE:
- Pour strawberries into a baking pan (Note 2). Crumble over topping, using your fingers to get some nice crumbly chunks.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the Topping is deep golden and the strawberry syrup is bubbling up energetically all around the edges – see video, this is a key sign that the strawberry sauce has thickened sufficiently.
- Stand for a few minutes before serving with ice cream or your choice of topping.
1. Use 1/2 cup if the strawberries are not that sweet or if you have a sweet tooth. Use 1/3 cup if your strawberries are really ripe and sweet.2. I use a 1.5L / 1.5 Qt / 6 cup, 18 x 26 cm / 7 x 11″ oval shape, or thereabouts. A large pie dish should work well. A 20 cm / 8″ square pan is too small – you could put leftovers in a ramekin or similar.3. GENERAL NOTES:
* The strawberries will soften and some will break down, some will hold their shape better. That’s just the way it is!
* It’s really important to wait until you see syrup bubbling up all around the edges of the pan and the top is deep golden as this is the sign that the syrup has thickened adequately in the middle. Otherwise when you break into the crumble, you’ll be greeted with a pool of water. IF THIS HAPPENS just put it back in the oven.
* The thickness of the syrup will vary from a perfect syrup consistency to chunky strawberry sauce-like. It just depends on the juiciness of the strawberries. Both are great. Also, it thickens as it cools.3. Make ahead – Assemble crumble, cover and set aside (fridge if hot weather). Chop strawberries, store in airtight container. Then toss strawberries in cornflour, sugar, water, vanilla, and assemble crumble. DO NOT leave the strawberries sitting around coated in the sugar, it makes it sweat and soften too much.4. Nutrition per serving, excludes ice cream.
- Πανελλήνιες 2022: Ανακοινώθηκαν τα αποτελέσματα
- Προβλέψεις από την Άση Μπήλιου για 28/06
- Σε εξέλιξη βρίσκεται επιχείρηση του λιμενικού για τη διάσωση 220 προσφύγων
- Ραγδαία αύξηση των κρουσμάτων προβλέπουν οι ειδικοί για σήμερα, Τρίτη όπου τα κρούσματα δεν αποκλείεται να φτάσουν τις 20.000
- 4 τρόποι για να αξιοποιήσεις τα ληγμένα καλλυντικά σου