- Cookie Ingredients:
- 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 12 tablespoons 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Icing Ingredients:
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract or 1/8 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia
- Nonpareil sprinkles
- Melt butter in the microwave and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk the eggs then beat in the sugar.
- Mix in the melted butter and vanilla.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Refrigerate the dough 1 hour- overnight, until firm enough to handle.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 32 even pieces ( about 46 grams/1.6 ounces each).
- Roll dough pieces into a ball, then into a 7” rope. Press the ends of the rope together to form a circle.
- Place dough rings on baking sheet 2″- 3” apart. These cookies expand while baking.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, until puffed and just turning golden.
- Cool completely on wire racks before icing.
- To make the icing, stir confectioner’s sugar, water, and extract in a small saucepan, over low heat just until combined and barely warm. WARNING: This icing hardens VERY quickly and must be used immediately. The cookies and sprinkles should be ready to use before making the icing. It is helpful if one person can do the icing, while a second person quickly adds the nonpareil sprinkles before the icing hardens.
- Dip the cookie tops into the icing or use a pastry brush to coat the cookies with icing, and immediately add sprinkles. Once the icing in the saucepan hardens, do not try to reheat it. The sugar will crystallize and make a sandy icing.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Thank you very much for your support in Serendipity ! You can donate here if you like !