For the cookies
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour, or equal amounts of gluten-free plain flour
- 10 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp agave nectar
For the decoration
- Sugar-free royal icing, using powdered xylitol
- Freeze dried raspberries, chopped into small pieces
To make the cookies
- Mix all the ingredients together in a food processor until it forms a soft dough. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180c / 350f and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Once the dough is firmed up, remove from the fridge and roll to approximately 0.75cm thickness. These cookies will need to be fairly thick to allow for the lolly sticks.
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut shapes and transfer to a baking tray. Use a lolly stick to poke a hole through the bottom up to about half way up the cookie so it’s easier to insert after they’ve baked.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or more, depending on the size of your cookies.
- Insert the lolly sticks through the bottom of the cookies, using the holes you made earlier.
- Leave to cool completely before decorating.
- Use my royal icing recipe using powdered xylitol. You can halve or quarter the recipe as you won’t need the full amount but any excess can be frozen to use at a later date.
- Spread the royal icing onto the cookies and top with the freeze dried strawberries.
- Allow to set for 15 minutes until the icing has firmed up then enjoy!