- 4 ounces of baking chocolate
- ½ cup cocoa
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- Candy Canes
- wooden chop sticks
- In a large bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and spices until the mixture is light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for about 2 mins. Stir. If necessary, continue microwaving in 10-20 second intervals until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add molasses, egg and melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mixture and beat for about 2 mins.
- Slowly begin adding the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Form the dough into about 4 balls.
- Lightly flour a flat working space and roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness. Cut shapes using gingerbread cookie cutters.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Once you have all your cookies cut out, place a wooden chopstick (or candy cane) down on the gingerbread shape and slowly work the arms in so the the gingerbread man is holding the chop stick.
- Slightly pinch the two arms together. Repeat for other cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 mins Using a spatula, slowly move the gingerbread men onto a cooling rack. Once the cookies are completely cooled, carefully remove the chopsticks.
- Use frosting to decorate each gingerbread man as desired. Finish by slowly sliding candy canes into place under the arms.