Vegan Chocolate Amaretti
- 2 cups ground almonds (almond meal)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoon icing sugar for coating
- 1 pinch of salt
2 flax eggs
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300F and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Make the flax eggs: add the ground flax seeds and water to a dish and stir. Let it rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients: ground almond flour, baking powder, sugar, and cocoa powder then add the flax eggs.
- Stir together until combined. It might look like you need to add more water, but keep mixing, and if necessary use your hands. The mixture needs to become like a thick paste that can be formed into sticky balls in your hands.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out a bit of a mixture and roll into a ball. Toss each ball into the icing sugar, coating fully.
- Place each ball onto the baking tray and gently press the ball with the palm of your hand, to squash it down slightly. Repeat with the remaining dough (you should be able to make 15 cookies).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool down before serving.
- When you remove the cookies from the oven they will be quite soft. Don’t be tempted to cook them for longer! They will harden while they cool down.
- You can store these cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week!
- If you don’t have flax seeds handy, you can also use chia seeds as a substitute. Remember to grind the chia seeds before adding water.
- If you don’t want to make this recipe vegan but only gluten-free, you can use 2 eggs white instead of flax eggs.