- 28 oz bag of frozen seasoned fries
- 2 Tbs bacon fat
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk (you may substitute chicken or beef broth)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbs Worchestershire sauce
- 1-2 cups of Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese curds
- Bake fries according to package directions.
- While the fries are baking, add 1/2 Tbs bacon fat in a medium skillet or sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add shallots, stir and cook until soft. Reduce heat if necessary to avoid burning.
- Add garlic to pan and stir, cooking for one additional minute.
- Add flour and stir constantly. Continue cooking until the flour develops a golden color and starts to smell nutty.
- While stirring continuously, slowly add liquid. Add salt, pepper and Worchestershire sauce and continue stirring until the gravy thickens to desired consistency. This may take 3-5 minutes and will come to a simmer. Keep stirring to avoid burning the bottom.
- Plate out the hot fries, add the Mozarella and cheese curds, then pour hot gravy over. Serve immediately.
- Change it up with different types of fries. Sweet potato fries would work with this.
- For the original gravy, use chicken or beef broth instead of milk.
- Skip the curds altogether and you have New Jersey’s Disco Fries.