Garam Masala Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 ½ c unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ c cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp salted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 c white sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ c molasses
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, garam masala, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until light colored. Add the molasses and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the flour mixture in two batches, mixing after each addition.
- Shape the dough into a ball, divide it in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- When you are ready to bake your cookies, preheat your oven to 350F.
- Dust your counter top with flour and roll half of the dough into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle, roughly 9×9 inches. (If the dough becomes too soft, chill it for a bit in the refrigerator).
- Once rolled, cut the dough with your desired cookie cutters.
- Place the cut cookies 1-inch apart on a lined baking sheet.
- Re-roll the dough as necessary, until all the dough has been cut. Then, continue with the second half of the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. (This time will keep them soft. If you like crisper cookies bake them for 12-14 minutes.)
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.