- 1½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 800 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp brown sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 cans butter beans (720g drained weight)
- Heat the olive oil in a big frying pan over medium heat, add the onion and fry until they start to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, celery and carrot and fry for a few minutes until everything is nice and soft.
- Then add the salt, pepper, tinned tomatoes, brown sugar, tomato paste, paprika powder and white wine vinegar and let it cook and bubble for about 8 minutes.
- Take the frying pan off the heat and transfer the sauce into a deep sauce pan. Use a stick blender to blend the sauce until it’s smooth and creamy. Alternatively you can blend the sauce in a blender and transfer it to the saucepan after.
- Add the butter beans and place it on the hob. Let everything reheat over medium to high heat for 5 to ten minutes and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- I served my baked beans on fresh sourdough bread with a generous sprinkle of chopped chives. Enjoy!
Thank you very much for your support in Serendipity ! You can donate here if you like !