- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes/red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups broccoli stems removed and finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth (Home-made or good quality store bought )
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and broccoli stalks in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant and just starting to brown (this takes around 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, bay leaf and herbs and sauté for another minute before adding the chicken stock, milk and cornflour mixture.
- Bring to a simmer then add the broccoli florets and shredded chicken.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes then season with salt, pepper and lemon (optional).
- Serve with crusty bread.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 753mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4070IU | Vitamin C: 70.8mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 1.7mg