- 1 medium spaghetti squash (approx. 2-3lbs)
- 2.5 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 5 oz fresh spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 TBSP cream cheese (optional but delicious!)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus extra for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated or sliced mozzarella for topping to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- For easy cutting, feel free to stick your squash in the microwave to soften it up just a tad. Pierce it a few times with a knife (to help vent so it doesn’t burst) and cook for for 3-5 minutes. The knife slides through way easier this way! Smaller squash will need about 3 minutes while larger ones will be good to go at 4-5 min.
- Next grab a lipped baking sheet or a rimmed baking dish.
- Rub the cut side of the squash with a teeny bit of olive oil and place on your baking dish/sheet cut side down. Roast for about 40 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Cooking time will vary a bit depending on the size of your squash, and larger squash will need to roast a bit longer to tenderize. Once ready, the once rock-hard exterior of the squash will be visibly softened with a tender interior.
- The squash can be roasted and stored in the fridge for a few days if you’d like to meal prep and plan ahead for a speedier dinner.
- While the squash roasts, start on the sauce.
- In a medium pot or skillet, bring a drizzle of olive oil to medium-high heat and sauté garlic until fragrant.
- Next add the spinach and stir until wilted. Add your cream, cream cheese (totally optional but totally tasty) and parmesan cheese and stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Once squash is done roasting, allow to cool until easily handled or pop on an oven mit and use a fork to separate and fluff the strands of spaghetti squash.
- Pour your sauce over each squash boat, stir to mix, and top with a little mozzarella cheese and additional parm cheese, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for around 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- For a golden cheesy topping, flip your oven to broil on high for just a minute or two until lightly browned. Dive in while it’s HOT!