Fragrant, delicious, and satisfying these Vegan Samosa Rolls are perfectly tender, crispy, and full of aromatic Indian spices making all your samosa dreams come true. This nod to the traditional Indian samosa are filled with potatoes, peas, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, red onions, garlic, ginger, jalapeno peppers, and spices then perfected baked into tasty rolls ready for dipping in our Sweet and Sour Sauce. So utterly mind blowing delicious, you’ll weep tears of joy.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, and no highly processed ingredients.
- 2 ¼ cups cooked, peeled Russet potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup grated sweet potato (about 1 small sweet potato)
- 1 – 15 oz. can chickpeas (drained and rinsed if from can)
- ¾ cup red onions, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon finely diced, seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder *
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- Almond flour tortillas (or tortillas of choice) *
Other Optional Ingredients
- Chopped cilantro
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons organic maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium tamari *
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Make the Sweet and Sour Sauce, place all the Sweet and Sour Sauce ingredients into a small saucepan, bring heat to a boil, whisking constantly until the mixture slightly thickens, lower to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to sit until ready to use.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the Herb/Spice Ingredients in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- Peel and cut the Russet potatoes into small half-inch cubes, then boil or steam them (we boiled them in a small saucepan covered with water, tiny sprinkle of sea salt, for about 10 minutes) until just until fork tender. Do not overcook the potatoes. Drain, then set aside to slightly cool.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then slightly mash them. You should have a variety of chickpeas, some mashed, some lightly mashed, and some whole, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined large skillet, add the finely chopped red onion, grated sweet potato, and jalapeno pepper; sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of water if the veggies start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds, add the Herb/Spice Mix and sauté to release their fragrance, about one minute. Then add the boiled/steamed cubed potatoes, mashed chickpeas and the peas. Gently stir, flip and fold the mixture until everything is heated through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Test the flavors, add more spices, if necessary, to achieve the level of flavor you desire. Slightly mash the mixture, but make sure you still have some texture remaining. In other words, do not create mashed potatoes.
- Take a tortilla and lay it flat, place about 1/3 cup of the potato/bean mixture on one end and roll it up into a log. Place it on the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat and continue until you have used up all the mixture.
- Place in a preheated 375 F oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then switch to high-broil for a few minutes to lightly brown the samosas. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn.
- Serve immediately with Sweet & Sour Sauce.
*Curry Powder: We love Penzeys The Now Currypowder. Please feel free to use your favorite curry powder.
*Almond Flour Tortilla: We used Siete Almond Flour Tortillas. They are delicious and have the perfect texture for these samosas. You can use any WFPB compliant tortilla. We highly recommend using Siete Almond Flour Tortillas as they create a beautiful, almost pastry-like exterior when baked. We are including a link to Siete Family Foods Store Locator.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 10 samosa rolls
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.
- Σεφ βρήκε τη μυστική συνταγή για το iconic τραγανό κοτόπουλο των KFC -Κι είναι πιο εύκολη από ό,τι νομίζεις
- Επικίνδυνη η μάσκα για παιδιά κάτω των 2 ετών, προειδοποιεί η Ιαπωνική Παιδιατρική Ένωση
- Η Σάσα Σταμάτη ευχήθηκε στη Φαίη Σκορδά η ώρα η καλή – Έφυγε από το πλάνο
- Kέικ μαρέγκας με μπανάνες και αμύγδαλα
- Κορωνοϊός-ΗΠΑ: Μπαρ βρήκε έναν ευφάνταστο τρόπο για να κρατούν οι πελάτες τις αποστάσεις
Thank you very much for your support in Serendipity ! You can donate here if you like !