- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5kg Onions (Peeled)
- 300g Unrefined Dark Muscovado Sugar (We love Billington’s)
- 200ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
- 1 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- Pinch Paprika
- Pinch Chillies (Dried)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions over a low heat for 10 mins until softened but not browned.
- Stir in 3 tbsp sugar, increase the heat and cook for 3-4 mins until the onions are browned, then add the remaining sugar and all the other ingredients.
- Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the mixture is dark and thickened.
- Spoon into clean sterilised jars and seal with a vinegar proof lid. Store for up to 6-12 months.