Strawberry Cake Donuts
For the donuts
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (87 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) buttermilk
- 1 cup (167 grams) finely chopped strawberries
For the strawberry glaze
- 1 cup (144 grams) diced strawberries
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
For the cream cheese glaze
- 2 ounces (57 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Light spray a 3 6-cavity donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, oil, and sugar together until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the flours, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Stir with a whisk. Stir half the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, followed by the buttermilk, and the remaining flour. Stir just until combined after each addition. The batter will the thick. Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Transfer the batter into a disposable piping bag or zip-top bag with a small corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the prepared donut pans filling each cavity 2/3 full.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until donuts spring back when pressed lightly with your fingertip. Cool on a wire rack. Dip the donuts in the strawberry glaze. Drizzle with cream cheese glaze. Store for up to 1 day at room temperature in an airtight container.
Make the strawberry glaze
- Cook strawberries in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The juice should be thickened. Remove from heat and press through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the pulp. Add confectioners’ sugar to the juice, one cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Use immediately or refrigerate up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Make the cream cheese glaze
- Combine all ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl and stir until well combined. Transfer to a plastic piping bag with the tip cut off. Use Immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Make ahead tip
- Plain or glazed donuts can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Warm in the microwave for a couple seconds and enjoy!
1. You can make these using a mini or regular sized muffin tin. For a regular muffin pan, bake them for 18-20 minutes. For a mini muffin pan, bake them for 15-17 minutes. 2. Buttermilk is necessary for this recipe. Without it, the donuts will be dry. You can, however, use sour cream or plain Greek yogurt in its place.