What To Do
- Gather your list of facts/dates/vocab to memorize.
- Focus on the first item on the list and work through the strategy for memorization:
- Read it silently in your mind
- Close your eyes, recite it in your mind
- Read it out loud
- Close your eyes, say it out loud
- Move on to the next item and take breaks after about 10 minutes to let your mind rest and process.
Why This Strategy For Memorization Works
This strategy for memorization taps into your brain’s connection in multiple ways, ensuring you actually remember what you study. Steps 1 & 3 focus on recognition of the material; steps 2 & 4 focus on recall. These are the two power steps! You want to work on your recall from memory which only happens when you aren’t using your eyes. 🙂
The last two steps also allow you to hear the material. You are more likely to remember something you have heard (even if it’s your own voice).