- 1/2 cup (110 g) unsalted butter, sliced into tablespoons, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups (190 g) unsifted cake flour
Earl Grey Pastry Cream:
- 2 cups (240 ml) whole milk
- 3 single serving earl grey tea bags, or 6 grams loose earl grey tea
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (28 g) cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons (28 g) unsalted butter
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 5 small blood oranges, segmented
- 1/3 cup shelled roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla on medium speed. Mix until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure thorough mixing. Add the yolk and continue to mix on medium speed until incorporated. Add all the flour and mix on low speed until the dough is crumbly, about 30-45 seconds.
- Dump mixture onto a clean work surface and press contents together until it forms a cohesive dough. Press dough into a rectangle about 1/2-inch thick. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place chilled dough on a lightly floured work surface. Divide dough into 6 parts. Working with once piece at a time, roll dough out into an even layer about 1/4-inch thick and about 1/2-inch larger than the 5-inch tart pan. Gently lift dough and position it over the tart pan. Using your fingertips, gently press dough against the sides and bottom of the pan. Use a knife or mini offset spatula to trim the overhang over the edge of the pan. Repeat with remaining pieces. If the dough happens to tear, simply repair the tear by pressing additional dough into the hole.
- Use a fork to dock holes on the bottom of the dough. Bake tart shells in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the dough is golden brown throughout. Let the crust cool in pan for 5 minutes before unmolding. Allow crusts to cool to room temperature on wire rack.
Earl Grey Pastry Cream:
- Pour milk into a large heavy bottomed sauce pot. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat. Add tea and cover pot. Allow tea to steep for 30 minutes. Strain and discard tea bags/leaves.
- Line a half-sheet baking pan with plastic wrap, making sure the sides of the pan are covered. Set aside.
- Place tea flavored milk over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks.
- Once milk is almost at a boil lower heat, slowly add milk to egg mixture about 1/4 cup at a time. Whisk as you add milk to distribute the heat. Continue to add milk until there are only a couple tablespoons of milk left in the sauce pot. Pour all the egg-milk mixture back into the sauce pot.
- Reduce to medium-heat. Using a spatula, constantly whisk the mixture until the custard has thickened. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot often to ensure it does it burn. Allow mixture to bubble and boil for 15 seconds to cook out cornstarch. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the hot pastry cream into the prepared plastic wrap sheet pan. Spread evenly. Place plastic wrap directly over pastry cream and freeze for 10-15 minutes until the pastry cream has cooled to room temperature. Remove from freezer and transfer pastry cream to an airtight container. Cover with plastic wrap, allowing plastic wrap make contact with pastry cream. This will prevent a skin from forming. Keep chilled in the fridge until ready to use
- Refresh chilled pastry cream by giving it a good whisk. Scoop about 1/3 cup of pastry cream into each tart shell. Spread into an even layer. Arrange orange segments over pastry cream. Sprinkle crushed pistachios over oranges. Serve immediately.
- Ισχυρός σεισμός στην Αθήνα
- Μόλις έβαψες τα νύχια σου και σου χάλασαν? Υπάρχει λύση στο λεπτό ….
- Το «σούσουρο» των influencers έφθασε και στην Ελλάδα
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake Bars
- Διέρρευσαν 12.000 λίτρα πετρέλαιο στον Ατλαντικό από πλατφόρμα της ExxonMobil