- 4 or 5 large navel oranges (about 3 3/4 lbs before peeling)
- 8 cups peeled, pitted and chopped peaches
- 5 cups of sugar
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- Soak store-bought oranges in hot water for about an hour and scrub well to remove any food grade wax that may be present. Skip the soaking step if using homegrown or organic oranges.
- Strip the rind from the oranges using a vegetable peeler trying to avoid as much bitter white pith as possible. Next, use a spoon tip to scrap any white pith that may still be on the back of the orange peel. Cut the orange peel into thin strips about 1/4 inch thick until you have 3/4 cup of orange peel strips.
- Using a sharp knife cut a small slice off each end of the orange. Use a very sharp knife to peel any orange pith and skin from each orange following the shape of the orange making sure to hold the orange over a bowl to catch any juice.
- Using the sharp knife cut in between the membrane of each slice of orange discarding the membrane pieces and reserving the orange segments. Repeat with each orange. Chop the orange segments to measure 1 1/2 cups of fruit and juice.
- Prepare the peaches by peeling, pitting and chopping.
- Place all of the ingredients into an uncovered 8-quart pot. On medium-high heat bring to a boil occasionally stirring until the sugar dissolves and to prevent burning. Once boiling lower the heat and continue to cook at a low boil for 45 to 50 minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent scorching or until it thickens slightly.
- Remove the pot from the heat, skim foam if needed. Fill hot jars with the marmalade leaving a 1/4 headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe the jar rim. Place a flat lid on the jar, and screw on a band just to fingertip tight.
- Place the filled marmalade jar into the hot water bath canner and repeat filling all of the jars.
- Process the Peach Orange Marmalade for 10 minutes adjusting for altitude if needed. Turn the heat off, remove the canner lid and allow to cool 5 minutes. Remove jars from the canner and allow to cool on a dry towel overnight before labeling and storing is a dark cool cabinet.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR MAKING PEACH ORANGE MARMALADE
- Peel and chop the oranges the night before to cut down on prep time.
- Work over a bowl when preparing the oranges to catch any juice.
- Use a large pot to prevent the cooking marmalade from over boiling.
- I cooked the marmalade for 45 minutes and it set up perfectly