Easy Chocolate Heart Doughnuts.
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large mixing bowl (I like to use my stand mixer), combine the warm milk, yeast, butter and egg, mix a little to combine and then add 4 cups flour and the salt. Knead the dough, using a dough hook or your hands, until the dough comes together and is smooth, about 3 minutes with a mixer, and 5-10 by hand. If the dough seems too sticky, add the remaining 1/4 cup flour. The dough should come together, but be slightly sticky to touch. Grease a large bowl and place the dough ball inside. Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, at least 30 minutes.2. To fry the doughnuts, line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the hearts. Arrange the doughnuts on the prepared baking sheet, leaving at least 1 inch between doughnuts. Cover the doughnuts loosely with plastic wrap while the oil heats.3. In a heavy-bottomed large pot or deep fryer, heat at least 2 inches of oil until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Working in batches, use a slotted metal spoon or spatula to carefully place the doughnuts in the hot oil. Fry, flipping once, until light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. When done, transfer to a wire rack to cool. Make sure to return the oil to 350 degrees F. between batches.4. To make the glaze, mix together the Nutella, heavy cream, and vanilla until smooth and combined. Spoon the chocolate into a pastry bag fitted with a tip or just use a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off. Pierce the base of each cooled doughnut with the piping tube (or us a knife) and pipe a little filling into each doughnut. Generously sprinkle each doughnut sugar. Enjoy!