- puff pastry 350g
- dulche de leche 1 jar
- bananas 5 small, peeled and halved lengthways
- ground cardamom a small pinch
- golden caster sugar 1 tbsp
- egg 1, beaten
- double cream 125ml
- toffee cream to serve (optional)
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Roll the puff pastry out on a floured surface to make a 23cm circle. Mark a 2cm border around the edge with a sharp knife but don’t cut all the way through. Finely crosshatch the centre of the pastry. Spread 4 tbsp of the dulche de leche over the centre of the circle up to the border.
- STEP 2Melt a little butter in a frying pan with the cardamom, and fry the bananas, cut-side down, for 1-2 minutes: you want them to look lightly cooked. Then turn the bananas over carefully and cook for another minute. Lift the banana slices onto the centre of the tart and arrange them in a pattern,. Scrape any residual butter and cardamom over and sprinkle with the sugar.
- STEP 3Brush the edge of the pastry with egg, and then bake the tart for 30-40 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed up and golden and the bananas are caramelised.
- STEP 4Beat the cream to soft peaks, then beat in 4 tbsp of the dulche de leche to make a toffee cream. Serve with the hot tart.