Banana, Coconut and Honey-Cream Tarts
1 pound pie dough, rolled 1/8” inch thick
¼ cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
4 baby bananas, halved lengthwise
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
toasted coconut flakes
honey for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Line 8 mini tart pans with pie dough and score the bottom of each with a fork.
3. Place tart pans onto a sheet pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until tart shells are golden brown.
4. Remove from oven and cool for about 20 minutes before removing from molds and continuing to cool on cooling racks.
5. Filling: Pour sugar, honey, cornstarch, salt, and milk into a saucepan and whisk together.
6. Place saucepan over medium-low heat and cook mixture, stirring frequently, until mixture simmers. Whisk 1 cup of the scalding milk mixture into the egg yolks, then pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
7. Continue to cook the mixture over medium-low heat, constantly stirring, until the pudding is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
8. Remove from heat, place over an ice bath and stir in butter and vanilla.
9. Once pudding has cooled down, whip the heavy cream until medium peaks form and fold into the pudding.
10. Press 1 teaspoon of turbinado sugar evenly over the cut-side of each baby banana half. Using a brulee torch, gently brulee the sugar atop each banana half until fully caramelized and a hard shell forms.
11. To assemble: Fill each tart shell with honey-cream and top each with a bruleed baby banana half. Finish each tar.t with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes and a drizzle of honey. Serve.