- 1 large head of cauliflower (7″ – 8″ wide and 3-3.5 lbs) or 1 bag of store bought cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup egg whites or 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 3/4 cup (for topping) Mozzarella/Tex Mex cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (dried oregano or basil)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Marinara sauce or my mom’s Ukrainian adjika, for dipping
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse cauliflower, remove outer leaves and separate into florets with a paring knife. Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and process until “rice” texture. Some coarse chunks are fine.
- Place in an ovenproof baking dish (I used Pyrex pie dish) and bake for 20 mins. Remove cooked cauliflower from the oven and transfer to a bowl lined with a tea/linen towel. Let the cauliflower cool down a bit until it is safe to touch, about 15 minutes.
- Fold the towel holding by the ends and squeeze the liquid out of the cauliflower “ball” as hard as you can. Be patient and do this a few times until barely any liquid comes out. I squeezed out 1 cup of liquid.
- Increase oven T to 450 degrees F. Transfer cauliflower to a mixing bowl along with egg whites, 1/2 cup cheese, herb seasoning, black pepper, pinch of salt and mix to combine.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture onto the baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper. Flatten with your hands into a rectangle, approximately 9″ x 7″ size and 1/4″ thick.
- Bake for 18 minutes, remove from the oven and top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes and then broil until cheese turns golden brown. Cut into 12 breadsticks and serve hot with warm marinara sauce, if desired. P.S. For a lighter version, do not top with cheese.