- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 bunch lacinato kale removed from stems and chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 green onions sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- a bunch of torn cilantro
- lime wedges for spritzing
- The original recipe calls for rinsing your rice super well and I have done that when making the rice just to make this dish. However, I’ve also used leftover rice, and it’s great too!
- Place the kale to a large bowl and massage it with the olive oil. Set it aside.
- Place the uncooked rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse well multiple times. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the rice. Cook the rice for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the rice – it will be slightly undercooked and thats okay! Place the rice in a bowl.
- Heat a large skillet (that has a lid!) over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil. Add the peppers and shallots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the peppers and shallots to the bowl with the rice. Stir together.
- Place the skillet back over medium-high heat. Take the lid from the skillet and wrap it tightly in a large kitchen towel – you want it to be tight so the towel does not catch on fire! This helps any condensation that falls from the lid and it will make the rice super crispy. Add the remaining coconut oil to the skillet. Once hot, add all of the rice mixture and use a wooden spoon to press it into one layer, like a rice cake. Cover with the towel-wrapped lid and cook until the rice is golden and crispy, about 5 to 6 minutes. You can scrap it with a spatula to see. Once that side is browned, you can flip a few parts of the rice cake and crisp the other side. Remove the skillet from the heat, keep it covered with the lid and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil.
- Take the bowl of kale and scrap out the crispy rice. Gently toss it with the kale. Serve the rice on a plate and drizzle with the soy sauce mixture. Top with green onions, peanuts and cilantro! Spritz with lime and serve. This will serve 2 generously.