Roasted chicken made with a delicious balsamic chicken marinade, cranberries, and fresh thyme. This paleo one pan chicken recipe is so easy to make!
- 2.5 lbs chicken thighs or breasts, with skin on (around 4 to 6 chicken thighs or breast) See notes for lower fat option
- fresh thyme
- a sprinkle of dried Italian herbs (optional)
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (or previously frozen)
- 1 tbsp each maple syrup and balsamic vinegar mixed together to coat chicken during roasting
For the Marinade:
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free tamari sauce or coconut aminos (optional)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black peppers
- 2 garlic cloves (or 1 tsp minced)
- Clean your chicken, then place in a roasting or baking dish. Set aside.
Make the Balsamic Chicken Marinade:
- Blend all the balsamic chicken marinade ingredients listed above in a food processor or blender until liquified and smooth.
- Pour marinade over the chicken thighs, coating evenly.
- Cover and place in fridge to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hrs.
- Once marinated, preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove chicken from fridge.
- Add extra 1/3 to 1/2 cup cranberries, thyme, and Italian herbs to the dish. Spread it out evenly on and around the chicken.
- Bake skin side down first for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove and turn skin side up. Check for doneness. Then brush each chicken skin with the maple syrup/balsamic vinegar combo.
- Add more seasoning (like dried herbs, salt, pepper) to the top if desired. NOTE: If using fresh herbs, wait to add until after you remove the chicken from the oven.
- Depending on the thickness of your chicken thighs, either bake a little longer skin side up, then broil. Or if chicken is almost done and not pink, then skip extra baking and just broil for about 3-4 minutes or until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked evenly inside. NOTE: If using boneless chicken, cooking time will be around 35 minutes total.
- After thoroughly cooked, remove from oven.
- Spoon the sauce from the pan onto each chicken thigh/breast and a pinch of black pepper or cracked pepper.
- Serve with the roasted cranberries on top and any extra fresh herbs desired.
- This is a great recipe to make ahead. Prep the marinade hours before, then just pop in the oven the next day or later in day.
- Lower Fat option if you use skinless chicken. Preparation for skinless chicken: The cooking time will be 20-25 minutes total. No broiling needed.