Easy Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
(makes about 12 small pancakes)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (you can also use whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 & 1/4 cup soy milk (or other non dairy milk substitute)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar or a 2 drops of liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Measure out the soy milk and add the lemon juice. Set aside. (It will curdle like buttermilk and adds really nice flavor to the pancakes.)
In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Now add in the soy milk mixture and vanilla extra. Stir only until incorporated (you don’t want to overmix batters.)
I made our pancakes using about 2-3 Tablespoons of batter. I could easily make four at a time this way. Make them whatever size you want but be sure to cook larger ones longer.
Pour batter into the pan and make sure not to overcrowd if you are making more than one at a time so that you can get your spatula in to flip them.
Cook until the edges dry out slightly and the bottoms are golden brown (2-3 minutes for small pancakes.)
Flip and cook for an additional minute or two (until this side is lightly brown.)
Serve with Spiced Apples (below), fresh fruit, applesauce and/or maple syrup if you like.
- 3-4 apples (I use Fuji – they are the best for this!)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg (use a microplane to grate whole nutmeg – it’s AMAZING freshly grated!!!)
- 2 Tablespoons water
Slice your apples really thin. I used a mandoline for these (makes it quick and uniform!)
Add to a nonstick pan that is set over medium high heat.
Add in the water and spices.
Stir occasionally and cook until softened (mine took about 5 minutes to be slightly crisp yet soft.)