- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs and extract. Press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar; add berries and gently toss. Spoon over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor’s Note: If using frozen raspberries, do not thaw before tossing with cornstarch mixture.
1 each: 131 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.