Vegan “TWIX” Tart!
FOR THE SHORTCRUST BASE
- 230 g white spelt flour or plain white flour*
- 110 g vegan spread or margarine
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER
- 100 g / 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup coconut creamyou can use the skimmed cream from a can of chilled coconut – reserve a tablespoon for the ganache recipe below
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
TO MAKE THE SHORTBREAD BASE
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Use a pastry brush to brush a little oil onto a rectangular tart tin (or a 9″ round tin).
- In a food processor, mix all the ingredients together until the dough starts to ball. If it’s too dry, add a tiny drop of water.
- Sprinkle a surface with flour and roll the dough out, a little longer than the tin. It should be about 3/4 cm thick. Wrap the dough around the rolling pinthen gently place over the tin, pressing in the sides.
- Trim off the excess edges.
- Prick the base with a fork and place some baking parchment on top, filling it with ceramic beans. This is to stop the dough from rising and keeps it nice and flat as it bakes.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool whilst you prepare the rest.
TO MAKE THE CARAMEL
- Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk and lower to a medium heat. Keep whisking until it’s thick and beginning to turn firm (about 10 minutes)
- Pour the caramel layer onto the shortbread base and smooth with a spatula.
- Refrigerate to set, whilst you make the chocolate ganache.
TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Simply melt the ingredients together over a double boiler. Whisk until thick and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before spreading over the caramel layer.
- Leave the tart to set in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
*Want to make it gluten-free / grain-free / paleo-friendly? Swap the tart crust recipe for this one, using coconut flour and almond flour (obviously not suitable for nut allergies)